Friday, November 6, 2009

Hustle Through Brussels

Since I only spent about 14 hours in Brussels, I’m not going to devote that much space to it in the blog. The only reason we went there was to catch a cheap flight, but I am very glad that we did. Once we decided that we would fly out of Brussels, I set two, and only two, goals for the city: drink Belgian beer and eat Belgian waffles. However, after I learned that Belgian waffles are pretty much just another one of those things from a foreign country that you hear about that isn’t real, like Chinese food or Ricky Rubio, I substituted mussels for waffles. I can happily say that I achieved both goals. Note the solid backpacker beard I picked up over the course of our ten days.

We ordered mussels at a nice place on a tiny street, and then we went to the Delirium Café to sample some of their 2004 beers. Those Belgian beers have a lot of alcohol, so its a good thing that drunk nights get remembered more than sober ones. As you can see, Brussels quickly became a highlight of the trip. We even sprung for a hotel for our last night, so between the mussels, the beer, and the hotel room, it felt like we were Lamborghini livin’. (What does that mean?)

I had a head full of fond memories as we took the bus to the Charleroi airport. Brussels was the perfect end to a perfect trip. Then I jumped on my blue stallion and rode back to Valencia.

No comments:

Post a Comment