Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Amsterdamp


Yes it rained while we were in Amsterdam, but not anymore than it did in any other city we were in that week. So I guess that can’t be the only reason that I chose to title this entry “Amsterdamp.” If I’m going to be honest, I mainly chose it because it was the only one that made me kind of giggle when I said it. So of course, I have to make it work. The reasons I’ve settled on it are: 1) it fits with the tradition of wordplay I’ve started here; 2) it sounds less lame than “Amsterdam It!” and “Going Dutch!” (I know I amplified their lameness by throwing in exclamation points); and 3) it did rain while we were there and the city of Amsterdam actually has more canals than Venice, making it pretty damp. That’s enough to satisfy me.

I was pretty excited about Amsterdam, I’d obviously heard good things, but if I’m being completely honest, it was my least favorite city of trip. It seems like it would be a great time, a place that seems like it knows how to party. However, as we all know, something can be advertised as something completely different than what it actually is. I don’t want to give anybody the wrong impression; I had a great time in Amsterdam. It just wasn’t what I was expecting. For example, Berlin has the exact same laws regarding prostitution, public urination, basically all the fun stuff, as Amsterdam, they just don’t flaunt it. Amsterdam is like the Disney World for stoners and johns. Buuut that’s not all there is to the city, there is plenty of worthwhile stuff in the city once you get beyond the high (2x) schoolers wearing rasta hats that are staring at the prostitutes.

We arrived Thursday night from Berlin, checked in to our hostel and just had a nice relaxing night walking around the canals and the Red Light District. The next morning we woke up and started walking around looking for some traditional Dutch breakfast. We found a nice place and I decided pass on the Holland oats and get some pancakes or crepes, whatever you call them, hot off the Dutch oven.

After breakfast we went to the Van Gogh Museum expecting a long line, but we were able to walk right in. It was pretty interesting to see that nutjob’s paintings up close and personal. After the museum we all knocked on each other’s doors and asked our moms if we could go ride bikes in the park. Lucky for us they said yes, so we rented some bikes and spent the afternoon riding through the Vondelpark. After that we went out for Indonesian food, which is supposed to be good in Amsterdam. It was good, but the whole city was just so freaking expensive. I swear I don’t hate it. After dinner we went out, but again, Amsterdam was not what I hoped it would be. Out of all the cities we visited I would not have thought that Amsterdam would have the lamest night lift. I felt like I was in Charlottesville the way we were kicked out of bars at 2 a.m. Oh well, at least I got more sleep than I was used to.

The next morning, in an effort to amend my opinion of the city, we once again hooked up with New Europe and went on a walking tour. It worked, I enjoyed seeing all the beautiful buildings, canals, bridges, and prostitutes the city has to offer, as well as learning the history behind all of it. Even if our guide was a weird New Zealander.

So I guess it’s a little complicated between Amsterdam and I right now, I’m not sure what to think. I think a lot of it has to do with how actually amazing the rest of the trip was, as well as my probably unfair expectations. It just occurred to me how spoiled I sound. I think I’m already starting to remember it in a better light.

I Got Low in the Netherlands!

No comments:

Post a Comment